January 23, 2011
Links For A Sunday Morning
- Test-Taking Cements Knowledge Better Than Studying, Researchers Say
...students who read a passage, then took a test asking them to recall what they had read, retained about 50 percent more of the information a week later than students who used two other methods.
One of those methods - repeatedly studying the material - is familiar to legions of students who cram before exams. The other - having students draw detailed diagrams documenting what they are learning...
- Tiger Moms: Is Tough Parenting Really the Answer?
- Awards Lite
Countless trophies, flashy star performances and too many silly jokes. Yet, not one credible award function.
- Scheduled Cast
Almost every big-budget movie is losing money in Bollywood. And yet, even if a small-budget movie makes thrice its cost, the industry does not count it as a blockbuster. Welcome to the warped economics of la-la-land.
- Hurricane heroin
Almost unseen, a drug storm is blowing across India. Vast stretches are turning into hubs of home-grown heroin at shocking speed.
- Telangana: The seventh option
Unknown to most parties, the Centre is plotting a new way out of the Telangana impasse.
- Pictures - Landslides in Brazil
- Slow Sofa by Frederik Roij
A sofa with nine modular parts 'that can be applied in many compositions at various locations.'
- Infographic - The Coen Brothers' Menagerie of Actors
- Number portability: Telcos offer special plans!
Number portability is here.
- Leading with my chin
Roger Ebert's prosthetic face.
- Dirk Nannes
is blogging and he blogs just like he bowls.
- The Quick Brown Fox
Web fonts now available for all Blogger users.
- An update from the Chairman
Larry Page to replace Eric Schmidt as Google CEO.
Also - Why Is Eric Schmidt Stepping Down at Google?
- 7 Reasons You Should Never Check Email First Thing In The Morning
- How to Add Keywords to Bookmarks Right From the Firefox Address Bar
- Infographic - Horoscoped
Most common words in star sign predictions.
- Five Emotions Invented By The Internet
A vague and gnawing pang of anxiety centered around an IM window that has lulled. During this time an individual feels unsure whether they have offended the IM recipient, committed a breach of IM etiquette, or have otherwise spoilt the presentation of themselves carefully crafted thus far thanks to the miracles of the textual medium. The individual must be at least vaguely aware that they are being vaguely paranoid, and must tell themselves things like 'he probably just stepped away from the keyboard' or 'I know she is at work right now so perhaps she has stopped replying because she is busy.'
- What happens when mom unplugs teens for 6 months?
- BBC One - Human Planet - series trailer
Human Planet is an eight-part landmark BBC natural history series.
Filmed in high definition, Human Planet will be an epic record of man's survival in the most extreme environments. Each episode focuses on one environment and how the peoples and tribes who live there adapt to their surroundings: oceans, deserts, arctic, jungles, mountains, grasslands, rivers and cities.
- The Big Picture creator moves on
to The Atlantic. Wonder which blog I should follow now...
- When is a Free WordPress Theme Really Free? Some Thoughts and Some Places to Find Them
- The script of Vikramaditya Motwane's Udaan
- A Deep Look At The Notion Ink Adam Tablet And Where It's Going
- Jobs Takes Leave at Apple Again, Stirring Questions
- India Through a Birder's Eyes
- Stuxnet Worm Used Against Iran Was Tested in Israel
A destructive program that appears to have wiped out roughly a fifth of Iran's nuclear centrifuges and helped delay, though not destroy, Tehran's ability to make its first nuclear arms.
- Who will replace Gary Kirsten?
Fleming, for sure, because of the Dhoni connection.
New theatre space in B'lore. Its a little too far so I'll have to stick with Rangashankara.
- Critics reviews and ratings this week - Dhobi Ghat and Hostel.
Labels: links for a sunday morning